Visit us in Historic
700 Wheeling Ave.
Store Hours :
Mon. - Sat. 10 - 7
Sunday - 12 - 5
Jim & Dee Kovacik
@ Country Bits
After 19 years in business, Country Bits owner,
Dee Kovacik is more enthusiastic than ever about the
future of downtown Cambridge and her growing,
Country Bits was started quite literally "on a shoestring and a prayer!" When the doors of this 10,000
square foot building opened in March of 1992, only six
vendor spaces were leased. However, the craft/gifts/antique
mall concept was ready to take off, and the remaining spaces
were quickly filled. In less than 18 months all the first floor
spaces were leased and people were clamouring for the second floor to open. Today the store proudly features 70+ exhibitors and maintains a waiting list for rarely-vacated spaces.
For $37.50 John Sarchet purchased lot #13, the southwest
corner of Wheeling Avenue and Seventh Street, now known
as "Country Bits", when he arrived in Cambridge in August 1806. John was a blacksmith. In 1825 the lot was sold to Peter Corbet, who opened a bread and pastry shop. Later it passed into the hands of Benjamin A Albright. Benjamin published the Guernsey Times here for several years. In 1847 Isaac Niswander and his wife "Peggy" opened what was then called an "Oyster Saloon". About the year 1856 the Shonfiled Brothers came to Cambridge and purchased this corner lot. They made some changes and opened a store, specializing in men's and women's wearing apparel. In the Civil War days this was one of the leading mercantile establishments in town. In 1921 Harry Rosenberg came to Cambridge and opened his business under the name of "Style Center". In 1992 the building ended up in the hands of Dee Kovacik. In one respect the building on this corner is one of the oldest in town; in another it is one of the newest
700 Wheeling Ave.
Cambridge, OH 43725